As you know, I just finished canning my tomatoes for the season, and fresh pasta with my homemade pasta sauce has been on the table nearly every day, thanks to the persistent requests of my children.
As fate will have it, my pasta sauce that I love, oh so much, will soon be gone. Devoured by tiny humans. Their momma only getting what is leftover.
Oh well… I guess I can always process more tomatoes. The frost hasn’t hit yet!
So, to go along with my homemade sauce, I am sharing my fresh pasta recipe.
1 cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Water, only if pasta dough is too dry.
I always double this recipe to feed my four kiddos and I.
1. Whisk Flour and Salt together in a large bowl.
2. Make a well within the flour.
3. Crack Egg into a bowl and give a slight stir to break up the yolk.
4. Pour the Egg into the well of the flour.
5. Stirring slowly with a fork, start to bring in the edges of the flour
6. Mix well with the fork until dough begins to come together.
7. Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead for 5-8 minutes, or until dough is smooth.
8. Let dough rest, covered with a tea towel, on the countertop for 10-15 minutes.
9. Prepare pasta water by bringing to a boil, and add plenty of sea salt.
10. Run through pasta machine, or roll out dough by hand, as thin as desired. I run mine through my pasta machine until the fifth notch.
11. Add fresh pasta to boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes until done. Strain pasta water, and there you have it!
I have tried some different variations with my fresh pasta. Sometimes I’ll use infused olive oil. Other times, I add fresh herbs to my pasta dough. Rosemary and Basil are my favorite herbs to add.